Economy

DeVos Budget Brings Class War to the Classroom

DeVos Budget Brings Class War to the Classroom

The proposal, which must be sent to Congress for approval, depicts a collection of the 45th president's priorities alongside Education Secretary Betsy DeVos.

The Washington Post reports the new education budget from the Trump administration would "cut $10.6 billion from federal education initiatives". "We never set it up in a way so that those funds could be diverted to support private schools", he said.

As New York Magazine writes, a $15 million program that provides child care for low-income parents in college.

Larsen's bill is created to support students starting in high school, through an associate's degree and into an apprenticeship, thus helping them become "job-ready" quickly and effectively.

Cuts would affect college work-study programs, public-service loan forgiveness, funding for mental health programs, and advanced coursework, with the elimination of at least 22 programs.

The documents obtained by the Post - dated May 23, the day the president's budget is expected to be released - outline the rest of the cuts, including a $15 million program that provides child care for low-income parents in college; a $27 million arts education program; two programs targeting Alaska Native and Native Hawaiian students, totaling $65 million; two worldwide education and foreign language programs, $72 million; a $12 million program for gifted students; and $12 million for Special Olympics education programs. These programs serve nearly two million children, most of whom are from poor families. Grants for career and technical education would be cut by $168 million; paired with the cuts to college financial aid, such cuts will drastically reduce options for a significant number of students who wish to pursue either a university degree or a career in the skilled trades. He said he hopes the Trump administration, if it chooses to eliminate the program, will grandfather in those like him who've been paying into the program for years.

Title I funds, which help poor children, and special education funding will neither be increased nor cut by the budget. The Trump administration's budget proposal is but a first, coordinated attack upon public education while benefiting the privatized school companies, for whom George W. Bush and Barack Obama opened the door, at the expense of quality education for working class children-and most especially for impoverished children. Certainly this is a start, but in the terms of a projected Department of Education budget of $59 billion, the amount of money spent on non-public schools is a drop in the bucket.

DeVos previously chaired the group, and is a longstanding champion of tax credit scholarships and vouchers. Those cuts will likely come from eliminating the school choice money and a few other items, in order to allow Congress to claim victory over deficit spending without having to make the toughest choices.


  • Acting FBI director undercuts White House on Comey firing

    Trump said in an interview with NBC that the Russian Federation investigation factored into his decision to fire Comey. ET this weekend.) Actress Melissa McCarthy is expected to portray him once again after popular past impressions.

    Rafael Nadal Progresses to Last 16 of Rome Masters

    And Thiem ultimately sealed only his second victory over Nadal by earning another break to prevail 6-4 6-3 in Rome . Thiem also beat an American but had to save two match points in a 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7) victory over Sam Querrey.

    Dealmaker Trump will be busy in Saudi Arabia

    Asked about any possible meeting with Donald Trump and other leaders on the sidelines, the foreign minister said, "Let's see". Toby Keith is set to hold a free concert in Saudi Arabia this weekend during President Trump's first official visit.
  • Paul Pierce says the Celtics should trade the No. 1 overall pick

    Both Thomas and Fultz are University of Washington products and have crossed paths on campus there in recent years. LeBron James has become quite familiar with the Boston fan base over the years.

    Moto Z2 Play, Z2 Force, and Moto E4 Plus press renders leaked

    Combined with the low-power processors and low-resolution screens, both phones should have great battery life in real-world usage. The 2015 Moto X series had three versions of the phone, including the Moto X Force, which has a shatterproof display .

    WhatsApp is bringing its desktop app to the Windows Store very soon

    However, Microsoft has not detailed much about the new feature, it neither provided how the compatibility will look like. Windows 10 S users can now use their iPhones, iPads, and other iOS devices with their Windows PC.
  • Equity Sheet: Reviewing the Numbers for American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (NYSE:AEO)

    Goldman Sachs Group Inc reissued a "sell" rating on shares of American Eagle Outfitters in a report on Sunday, February 5th. The company reported EPS of $0.16, below the consensus estimate calling for EPS of $0.17 - a positive surprise of 4.59%.

    Trump denies telling Comey to back off, bashes former Federal Bureau of Investigation director

    Trump made the decision to fire Comey only after receiving the recommendation from Rosenstein and Attorney General Jeff Sessions. However, Trump told NBC News last week that he would have fired Comey "regardless" of what the Justice Department said.

    Officials piece together events before nursing home shooting

    He also served time for a 2009 abduction of another woman. "I am afraid to be alone with him, that he will hurt me for good". When police entered the building, they discovered three dead from gunshot wounds, two employees and the suspected shooter.
  • Portugal win first ever Eurovision Song Contest

    Salvador Sobral is an extraordinary singer. "Music is not fireworks, music is feeling", he said while accepting the award. It has been only a matter of days since Salvador Sobral won for Portugal with a record number of points.

    Pemberton Music Festival suddenly cancelled

    The event owes $2.5 million to creditors, which means ticket buyers could have a hell of a time getting their refunds. The popular summer show has officially been cancelled for 2017 as the organizers have filed for bankruptcy.

    Salesforce.com, inc. Posted losses of -0.1% in the Last Trade

    The sale was disclosed in a document filed with the Securities & Exchange Commission, which is accessible through this hyperlink . Even thought the pullback rate is high, if correct risk management is utilized, investors can trade very well such events.